What are wipes?
Wet wipes or just “wipes” are small, super-soft, and moist cloths made of either viscose or a mix of viscose and polyester. Over the years, wipes have become increasingly popular among parents due to their easy and hygienic use. One of the reasons why wipes have become so hyped is because they are really practical. Especially in modern, everyday life where time is often an issue for families with young children. You can use wipes for almost anything. If you make sure to buy certified safe and skin-friendly ones, you can easily use wipes daily.
Here are some of the everyday situations where wipes are really handy:
Wet wipes are very useful in any kind of diaper change situation at home or on-the-go. At home, you have access to running water, which is a huge advantage in more dirty situations (if you understand what we mean). However, if you just want to freshen up your child’s diaper area and remove the smell of urine when changing a wet diaper, wipes can be the preferred choice. Or if you are out shopping or at a café, you might not have running water nearby. No need to worry. Wet wipes to the rescue!
Wipes for children are designed specifically for sensitive young skin and can be especially gentle if your child is experiencing a diaper rash. Diaper rash can be really painful, and you will want to rub and clean the infected area as little as possible, which is not always possible when you also need to keep your baby’s bottom clean and dry. Wet wipes are formulated to match the pH of children’s skin and they are super-soft. That makes them perfect for a gentle and mild cleansing of red and sore bottoms, as they will leave the protective layer of the skin intact . This is particularly important when you want to get rid of a rash.
During and after meals
Let’s be honest. When children start to eat solid foods, it can be quite a mess. They are learning to coordinate their chubby little arms, and before being able to master the art of eating with a spoon, they must endure many failed attempts at reaching their mouth. We are cheering them on all the way, but most meals will inevitably end up with the chair and table being covered in food – probably the child too. Wet wipes can be perfect for catching flying pasta, meatballs, avocado, and porridge as well as for a quick clean of your child before giving them a nice and relaxing bath. In skin-friendly wipes the main ingredient in the fluid is water, so you can safely use wipes to clean your child’s hands and face after a messy meal.
On the go – for sticky hands and runny noses
Wipes are also nice to have in your bag when you are out and about. Not all public places have a toilet or running water nearby. Think of the beach, a park or at the playground. You never know what your child will stick their hands into or proudly bring you like a slimy snail or maybe a delicious mud cake. In these situations, wipes can be your secret weapon to at least get some of the dirt of your little one’s hands before it’s time for a snack.
Wipes can also be an alternative to paper when it comes to avoiding runny noses getting sore from all that drying and blowing. Wipes are a gentle way to dry their nose for a while.
PERFECT in the car for every dirty situation (vomit, snot, ice cream etc.)
As parents ourselves, one of the places where we have discovered wipes to be indispensable is in the car. If you have more than one kid, you are almost guaranteed to have wet wipes in your car. With wipes in your car, you are prepared for almost every possible situation. Some children love being in a car, but if you go on a longer trip, you still need to bring snacks and water, and that can quickly become a sticky situation. Other children are unhappy or suffer from car sickness – some might even vomit in the car if you go for a longer trip. No matter what happens on your drive, you will be well-prepared to handle any kind of situation as long as you have wet wipes in your bag.
What to keep in mind when using wipes on your child
Even though the majority of wet wipes for children are designed for sensitive children’s skin, you should still be attentive to finding ones that are skin-friendly. And you also need to know how to use and dispose of the wipes correctly.
Our top tips on choosing and using wipes that are safe for your child’s skin and gentle on nature
- Make sure that the wipes are dermatologically tested and do not contain perfume and color.
- Always check to see that the wipes are recommended by Asthma Allergy Nordic. This is your guarantee that the wipes are made with safe ingredients and that they only pose a minimal risk of causing skin allergy.
- Check to see if the wipes are certified according to the Nordic Swan Ecolabel. This certification means that the wipes do not contain perfume or other substances classified as carcinogenic, harmful to the reproduction, or allergenic.
- Always use common sense when it comes to your child. As with all new products, make sure to check that your child’s skin does not react to wipes. No children are alike - and neither is their skin. Some children have very sensitive skin that will react to different types of care products - even ones that are designed specifically for children’s skin and hold all the right certifications and tests.
- If possible, look for wipes made of 100% viscose, which is the more eco-friendly choice.
- Make sure to dispose of the wipes correctly. Wipes should always be disposed of in the trash. Never flush wipes in the toilet as this will clog the drain.
- Make sure to recycle the wipes packaging together with other recyclable plastic waste.
Bambo Nature Wet Wipes are dermatologically tested and contain no perfume or color. They are recommended by Asthma Allergy Nordic and certified by the Nordic Swan Ecolabel. The safe choice for your child and nature.
See more about how Bambo Nature products are skin-friendly or check out these blog posts about children and skin: